December 19, 2011
Members Present: Kathy Black, Margo Warden, Eric Osgood, Howard Romero, Doug Molde, Selectmen; P. Stephen Smith, Road Foreman; Linda Molde, Lois Frey, Nate Kinney, Melissa Towle, Heather Rodriquez, Rosemary Audibert, Clerk.
Eric called meeting to order at 7:05 p.m.
Board viewed and signed orders.
Board reviewed meeting minutes from November 21, 2011. Kathy stated that the correct spelling of her sons name is Giulio. Kathy moved to accept November 21, 2011 meeting minutes with the correction, Howard seconded, so voted.
Board reviewed current budget status report, which is at 56% spent of budget for about 6 months. Revenue will be adjusted for school tax portion out of current tax, waiting for figures from the State. Question regarding, projects, events and celebration over budgeted, for Christmas decorations, and Tuesday Night Live acts are costing more than they have in the past. Revenue for Tuesday Night Live is also up to cover the additional expenses.
Rosemary stated that have two forest fire reimbursements that were in the Town, claims are in the amounts of $1950.00 and $454.00. Howard moved to approve the forest fire reimbursement applications, Katy seconded, so voted. Board signed applications.
Have received the 2011 paving grant money. Have received that 3rd installment for highway state aid early because a lot of towns were hit hard by Hurricane Irene and this would help the towns with their cash flow. Also have received the pilot money for the State lands.
Steve stated that since the last meeting have had 18 inches of snow, plowed 5 times and sanded 17 times. Installed at 24”x20’ culvert on Basin Road (Class IV) at a cost of $1382.00. If the Town would have used a 40” culvert that cost would have been $1800.00 total. This was the first culvert on the road.
Duncan stated that he sent a detailed letter explaining the right of way application and the 75 yards of gravel to the property owners before the last board meeting and have heard nothing. Eric stated that this is all town money as there is no state aid on Class IV roads.
Steve stated that Lafayette Sheldon called and stated that they would not be able to install the guard rails on Hog Back until next spring, because of all the damage that was caused by Hurricane Irene.
Steve stated that had very icy roads on December 15th and on the next day there were many trees down due to the high winds.
Steve stated that since Deputy Delisle retired from the Sherriff Department there have been very few tickets written on Main Street for overnight parking.
Duncan stated that Steve work with the Village crew and installed the step for Patty Gillespie.
Duncan stated that have a draft decision on the Grow Road reclassification. Steve stated that the Town has been maintaining the road since the last meeting.
Eric asked Steve to review items that will go into next year’s budget. Steve stated that there are several items that should be increased like sand, roadside mowing, culverts. Giddings stated that most towns are going back to galvanize culverts as they are having the same problems as Johnson is. Culverts will need to be upsized, as the plastic culverts have a smooth core so they are able to take more water. Galvanize culverts are about $4.00 more per foot than plastic. Need to change about 25% or 20 culverts next year. With the Clay Hill project there are 4 culverts that need to be replaced.
Duncan stated that drafted the Grow Road decision as to be signed by Howard as he was acting chair at that meeting. Doug moved to authorize Howard to sign the Grow Road reclassification decision as acting chair, Margo seconded, so voted. Howard signed decision.
Schedule budget meeting, have stated to input information into spreadsheets. Receiving information from library, recreation committee, and highway department. Would like to have a work session meeting early in January. Eric and Duncan to work on a date.
Duncan stated that Roger Demar withdraw his sewer permit application for the Town Sewer Service Area.
Duncan stated that have a resignation letter from Kim Marble from the recreation committee. Margo moved to accept resignation letter from Kim Marble, Kathy seconded, so voted.
Duncan stated that there is a joint meeting with Hyde Park and Wolcott for law enforcement services on Thursday, December 22, 2011. Howard stated that he will not be able to attend the meeting; Margo is not sure and between Kathy and Doug one of them will attend. Duncan stated if there is not a quorum could authorize Eric to act on your behalf. Howard moved to authorize Eric to act on behalf of the Selectboard if there is not a quorum for the patrol budget, Margo seconded. Current year budget is $322,000.00 and the proposed is $338,000.00 for Johnson. Figure could change at the meeting; the boards could decide that they are only going to pay a certain amount. Part of the reason Johnson amount change was the census. Yes votes, Howard, Kathy, Margo, Eric, No votes Doug. Doug stated that need to have a quorum at the meeting to vote on the budget.
Duncan stated that have a letter from Jan Perkins requesting that she be granted a waiver of the policy for paying the Town/Village contribution to the HSA, so she could receive the full amount in January. Last year paid 50% and split the balance over 51 pay periods. Jan will be having major health expenses in January. Kathy moved to approve the full contribution into Jan Perkins, HSA account, Howard seconded. Eric asked how this impacts the budget, Rosemary stated that this will have little effect on the budget, as will have half of the half in this year’s instead of next year’s budget a difference of $500.00. So voted.
Duncan stated that Eric, Duncan and Jim Heath and Ron Rodjenski of Hyde Park meet and discussed law enforcement issues, which led to a meeting with Sheriff Marcoux. Roger admitted that the increase this year will probably led to Wolcott discussing getting out of the patrol contract. Roger is open to discussion, need to have better communication, need a formalized process for budget discussions, before he submits a budget and the boards need to have more input into the budget construction. Roger was open to those ideas. Roger has very strong ideas of what his department should look like, we wants to be a county level State Police an strong law enforcement entry. Roger has made a large investment into the dispatch center, which has cost the towns very little most has been funded through grants. Has made good improvements to the building and the dispatch center, which is going to open in January 2012. Roger could not be elected next year and the new sheriff could say that do not to do contract work with the towns. Need to have a meeting with Roger telling him what Johnson needs and priorities are for the community.
Duncan stated that regarding the IVS tax mapping system, have been looking several months for different vendors. The chief programmer for IVS left and started working for Cartographic Associates; he has all the knowledge base for your system. Duncan recommends entering into a short term agreement to at least maintain the system. They want to migrate the system on to their platform, should be a better platform in the end, do not know what those costs will be. Working on getting figures for the budget, some of this would be paid by the Village as they have utility information map into the same system. Howard moved to hire Cartographic Associates to maintain the tax mapping system, Kathy seconded. Duncan stated that this would be at an hourly rate, which is $5.00 more per hour than IVS of $90.00 per hour. Motion passed.
Duncan stated that working with Historical Society on getting an appraisal done on the property. Instead of bringing on the State Fire Marshall to do an inspection would like to hire a person a who knows the fire and electrical code and do a punch list of items that would need to be corrected and get an estimate for the improvements. Lois stated that Dean has spoken with the realtor and they are ok with this approach, and has two names from Steve Towne for the electrical inspection. Tim Sullivan could not to the appraisal until the end of February, so they are looking for somebody else. Don Foote has a couple names of commercial appraisers, one in the Underhill area. Lois stated that will check on that. Duncan stated that still need to find someone to review the building for fire codes.
Howard moved to go into executive session for a legal personal issue at 7:50, Margo seconded, so voted. Board came out of executive session at 8:27 p.m.
Doug and Linda Molde left the meeting.
Eric thanked the recreation committee for all that they have been doing to start back up the committee. Have received a resignation letter from the committee treasurer, with allegations and the Selectboard is going to investigate them. Cannot go into what the allegation are, as they may be unfounded. By Wednesday will need to have all the bank records and registrations for the last 5 years. Heather stated that all she has is this year, have asked for prior years and have not been given to us yet. Do not have any bank statement, Rosemary has those. Have fall soccer 2011 forward. Any records should be turn over to Rosemary. Eric asked Duncan to contact Amy, Duncan stated that he does not have any contact information as email and phone did not work, Heather stated that she does and will forward to Duncan. Howard stated that the Board is very appreciative of the Recreation committee and that should have a representative to come the monthly board meetings. Margo stated that this is a good way to keep the communications open between the boards. Heather stated that this is something the committee has discussed and would like to send a different member each month. Kathy stated that should advertise that there are open seats on the committee. Board acting on one resignation tonight, Heather stated that Patience Maloney has moved. Heather and Rosemary to go over the list of committee members and the maximum is 13. Heather stated that the chair of that program is Declan Stefanski and he is going a great job but he is a teen and having issues chasing down registration fees. Asking too much from someone that age to approach parents about payments. Kathy stated that the bylaws could be amended to allow 13 adults and 3 teen members. Rosemary suggested junior members. Heather stated that three members are teens. Junior members could be assigned certain tasks to do. Kathy stated that after the new treasurer is appointed; contact Rosemary about the process of reclaiming the books. Nate stated that working on rules for registrations, who handles the money. Melissa stated that at the next board meeting will be voting on the policy. Heather stated that need to educate the community that if the fee is not paid then you are not registered. Having a problem in getting money after the program has ended. Will be willing to offer scholarships for hardship cases. Duncan stated that per the statutes that Rosemary is respondisable as Town Treasurer for all town money including recreation programs, should run the policy and procedures by Rosemary for her feedback before the recreation approves as she is fiduciary responsible for any and all Town money. Kathy stated should not have kids playing without the parent waiver form, should you take the form without the money, be clear what you need and get the waiver form signed, and asked for the money a seconded time. Heather stated that in the past kids have been playing without the waiver form and that is a huge risk for the town. Margo stated that the committee is moving in the right direction. Eric stated that if the recreation committee would like increase in there budget next year they would have to come before the board and justify it.
Meeting adjourned 8:45 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by
Rosemary Audibert, Clerk